2023-24 AOA Basketball Division Meeting Dates & Schedule
All meetings will begin at 7:30 PM at York High School except for Week 6, which will be held at Shoeless Joe’s Ale House and Grille at 1480 W. Lake Street, in Addison
- Week 1 – Oct. 5: Tim Loughnane will discuss new business, introduce all of the Hall of Fame members and introduce new members. Jeff Rutledge will provide a new rules presentation and points of emphasis. There also will be AOA Camp testimonials from individuals who attended the camp.
- Week 2 – Oct. 12: Dave Romano will have a presentation about free throws and in-bounds. Eddie Burns will have a presentation about professionalism and NFHS rule No. 2
- Week 3 – Oct. 19: Sal Vasta will discussion Arbiter, camps and the IHSA Website. John Marino will provide a mechanics presentation.
- Week 4 – Oct 26: Former referee and AOA President Joe Spagnolo returns to present his observations after spending last season as an assistant coach at Hinsdale Central. He will provide his perspective with video support.
- Week 5 – Nov. 2: Tim Loughnane will provide a presentation about traveling, identifying the pivot foot, and closely guarded situations. Don Williams will provide content about the different types of fouls we experience throughout games.
- Week 6 – Nov. 9: Part 1 IHSA Test Review at Shoeless Joe’s Ale House and recognition of Rich Parson for his recent introduction into the AOA’s Basketball Hall of Fame.
The registration and dues payment page is now open and receiving registration and 2023 dues payments. Dues response has been terrific, keep up the great work.
This season we’ll be a hybrid of virtual meetings and in-person meetings. Virtual meetings will kick-off (of course pun intended) on July 20th. 7:00pm. A zoom link will come out closer to the day.
SOME THINGS STAY THE SAME AND SOME THINGS CHANGE:
- STAY THE SAME:
- To be eligible to vote or hold office one must be a member in good standing. That means paid your 2023 AOA Football Division Membership dues, had a dues waiver request approved, and attended at least 4 of the 6 regularly scheduled meetings.
- CHANGE LEVEL 2 CLINIC CREDIT:
- to receive Level 2 Clinic credit, one must pay your 2023 AOA Football Division Membership dues and attend BOTH the August 3rd and August 10th in-person meetings at Fenton High School
Here is a tentative schedule of topics and presenters for the 2023 Season’s meetings:
- July 20,: 7:00 PM Zoom – Player Conduct – State Final Official Tim Loughnane
- July 27, 7:00 PM Zoom – New Rules – State Final Official Ted Lepucki
- Aug 3, 7:00 PM In Person Fenton HS. Auditorium Mechanics Changes for 2023 – Football Official of the Year Jeff Conrad
- Aug 10, 7:00 PM in Person Fenton HS Auditorium OPI/DPI Pick Plays – State Final Official Tim Loughnane
- Aug 17, 7:00 PM Zoom Test Review – Football Board Nominations Open – Game Management/Clock Management – AOA HUDL Coordinator Craig Reges
- Aug 24, 7:00 PM Zoom Test Review – Football Board Nominations Close – Goal Line Plays – TBD
Zoom meetings beginning on July 20th
Renew or Join NASO Through AOA and Save
AOA is again offering NASO membership with a savings of over 25%. This is a limited time offer and you must submit your registration and credit card information by June 13, 2023.
Reasons to Join NASO
- Education – Referee Magazine, It’s Official News Letter, Officiating Books
- Protection – Liability Insurance Protection: NASO Sports Officials Security
- Protection – Assault Protection: $15,500 for Assault Medical & Legal Expense
Sorry, but NASO Membership Discount is no longer available.
Please join all AOA Officials
Sunday, May 21st from Noon – 3:00 PM at Pinstripes, 7 Oakbrook Center Mall, Oak Brook.
All-you-can-eat buffet from Noon to 3. Adult beverages included.
Awards Ceremony Schedule
- 1:20 pm Baseball Awards/Recognitions
- 1:00 pm Basketball Awards/Recognitions
- 1:40 pm Football Awards/ Recognitions
- 2:00 pm Softball Awards/Recognitions
Interested in Umpiring Softball? Good News! The IHSA has approved 15- and 16-year-olds to get a Provisional License with the state. No fee for you to apply. One must attend a certified clinic like the one below. The deadline for applying for spring sports is April 15.
February 26, 2023
1:00 – 5:00 PM
Resurrection College Prep HS
7500 W. Talcott Ave.
Clinicians will cover topics such as Professionalism, Game Mechanics, Conflict Resolution, Rule Changes and Management. You will walk away feeling more confident about applying your skills to officiating the game of softball.
October 6, 2022 – In-Person at York HS
- Check in 6:30 PM
- 7:00 1st meeting of Board of Directors
- 7:05 – 7:15 Business for AOA for the year
- 7:20 – TBD Fred Allman – New Rules & POE
- Denny Bracco “Running your pregame with purpose/Getting back to Basics”
October 13, 2022 on Zoom
- Zoom Run by Randy Wilson
- Short meeting 7 – 8 (Cause of Bears Game)
- Jeff Rutledge – “Little things of officiating”
October 20, 2022 Zoom
- Dave Romano – 20 minutes Communication with Coaches
- Tim Loughnane – 20 minutes Block/Charge & Dead Ball
- Don Williams – 20 minutes Video session “What do you see”
October 27, 2022 Zoom
- Sal Vasta – 20 minutes – Mechanics
- Les O’Connor 20 minutes – Throw-ins
- Randy Wilson – 20 minutes – Basket-interference / Goaltending
November 3, 2022 Zoom
- Eddie Burns Host
- Eddie Burns – 20 minutes Best Teammate (on and off the court)
- Jeff Rutledge – 30 minutes “Calling your primary”
- Bob Copas – 20 minutes – Fighting
November 10, 2022 In-Person @ 7 PM
- Shoeless Joe’s Ale House & Grille
- 1480 W Lake St, Addison, IL 60101
- Pizza Party & Rules Test Review – Eddie will host meeting
- All Clinicians will take 10 Questions each: Tim, Les, Don, Sal Randy, Jeff
The preliminary agenda is:
July 21: New Rules
July 28: Mechanics Review
Aug. 4: In person at Fenton with a speaker
Aug. 11: “Back to Basics” and Football Fundamentals with Test Review
Aug. 18: Professionalism and Conflict Resolution with Test Review
Aug. 25: Assigners Panel with Test Review
The Athletic Officials Association Basketball Division Hall of Fame Induction and Member Recognition Banquet will take place on Tuesday, March 15 at Allegre Banquets of Villa Park, 237 Saint Charles Road in Villa Park. Doors will open at 6:00 PM.
Members will also be recognized for recent IHSA Promotion and AOA Service Awards, along with many other special recognitions.
The cost of the banquet is $25.
AOA Softball Division
Wednesdays: 1/26, 2/2, 2/9, 2/16. 2/23
7:00 – 8:30 PM
Location: ONLINE CLINIC
Clinic: Level 2
Contact: John Cournane
Phone: (773) 556-5047
Email: j [dot] bc [at] hotmail [dot] com
Cost: Free to Members which includes a Season Ending Banquet / $35 for Non-Members
MUST attend 3 out of 5 meetings to receive IHSA Clinic Credit.